Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Not being in the township anymore

We have been out of the township for the last couple of days and it has been a interesting thought process. Going from where people barely have running water to a place where we have everything. It is crazy especially since one of the first things we did was go on a wine tasting tour. The places where the wine tasting took place in places that were way richer then the township. It was just a really hard contrast between the township and the area where the wine tasting took place. It was crazy how much money the vineyard places have. Their houses were big and had some really fancy cars. So it was definitely a great way to contrast what we just went through. It was really tough to think about though because we went from living with nothing and then we went to sipping wine at extravagent house/places. I really felt torn inside about buying some things at the vineyards and being at these places but I have a feeling this is what I am going to go through when I get home and have to see all of the things and amneties I have. It will be an interesting contrast. Especially since I will only be home for like 2 weeks and then I will be off to Venezuela. So, I am excited to see the contrast from here in South Africa, home and the Venezuela. Back to the wine tours. It was great to see the vineyards and see home they grow the grapes and how they process everything. We also learned how to taste it, look at how new it is and tell if it is a good wine. I was really intriged with what the guy we had to say about all this. It was a great time.

The next day some of us got up at 5 in the morning to go shark diving. Darn that was early but it was so worth it. First they gave us breakfast and went through what we needed to know about things so we don't get hurt. After that we took a 45 minute boat ride to a place called shark island. Supposedly it is the place where they film all the shark documentaries. It was an amazing boat ride. The water was so beautiful and clear. When we got to the place I kind of started getting nervous because it was really going to happen and they told us that some of the sharks range from 3 meters to 5 meters, (9 to 15 feet). This is kind of intimidating since you are stuck in a cage and they put the food right next to the cage. I was also a little nervous that the water was going to be super cold but it ended up not being that bad. It was about 15 degrees Celsius which is about 65 degrees Farnheit. We got to see a lot of sharks and swim with a lot of sharks. It was a great experience. It was amazing and really worth it. But the best part of the trip was the fact that we got to see whales on the way back. We saw a mother and a baby humpback whale. It was so cool. Then we got back and they fed us. It was a fun day and a great time. I would reccomend it to anyone.

On Monday, we went to class and then we went to the market. I feel like I spent a lot of money at the market. I really felt guilty spending so much money especially after the whole township experience. I just don't know how I am going to get over this when I get home but I feel like I will be able to adjust. I also feel like I am going to feel weird spending a lot of money back home especially since it seems like a lot of things here are so cheap. I think I just have to remember that we are very fortunate for the things I have and try and do my part to still help out as much as I can. It is like what I learned in the 4000 level class, "think globally but act locally." I really feel like this makes more sense to me since this is my first abroad experience. It has been a great experience and I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to travel with.

No comments: