Thursday, July 10, 2008

2 weeks in a foriegn country by my self down.

2 weeks down, 4 more to go. Things are going better though. I have had class everyday this week. Class from 8:30 to 2:30 is alot but at least I will be done with my foriegn language requirement. Some highlights this week were we had a Venezuelan cooking class monday night. That was pretty fun. The food here is alright. I am definitely missing American food though. Here they put salt on basically everything. It is weird but it is pretty good food. So I will try and get the recipe of the food we made and bring that back. After that we went out to a bar here it. It was alright, I mean for a Monday night. I have pictures of it. I actually held a snake for awhile at the bar. It was pretty interesting. Tuesday night we had a Salsa dancing night. It was pretty cool but new dances are hard to learn. But to all the people I have met in and gone to South African with, I have should them how to do the chicken dance. They loved it. I will have to bust it out at the beach this weekend. But basically every night I go home and just do homework and hang out. I am going to try some more restuarants down here and find out some other foods. They really love their pizza. They are all over the place. It is kind of funny. No food is really spicy down here so we have had to ask for some hot sauce but that is not even that hot. Oh well.

As for this weekend, I am pretty excited to go hang out on a beach but it sucks that we have to take a 12 hour bus ride to the beach. But I have heard that it is so worth it. I will try putting some pictures up next week of things I have done and this weekend. It was weird I was almost not able to go to the beach. For some reason, the ATM network or something is not working all that well so I was not able to get money out of my bank but VENUSA, the place I am taking classes at loaned me money until I get a check down to their headquarters in Florida. So everything is good. It was just a little frightening that I wouldn't get any money.

Oh yeah, I don't know if I forgot to mention but last sunday, I went paragliding. I am kind of affriad of heights so this was an experience for me. We basically were told to run off a mountain with a parashoot thing and an instructor on our backs. It was scary mounting up to the event but after it was all over it was so worth it. I have some pretty cool pics of that as well. Looks like another time for a photo blog, next week. Alright well, I need to get going. The bus for the beach leaves in an hour and a half and I need to get to the bus stop and meet the other people going with me. Have a great weekend. Thanks to everyone that reads my adventures.

3 comments:

Maryam said...

Hang in there Nate. You'll never be there again. It definitely sounds different than what we had. But that is a good thing.

-Maryam

Elisa said...

Hey Nate-

Just wanted to let you know that I've been keeping up with your blog and thinking of you. It sounds like this experience is completely different from SA, but just remember that everything you're doing is making you a stronger person :) You're probably just in the "downward slope" of your abroad roller coaster ride. It'll go up soon!

-Elisa

Hilary Beth said...

NATE!!!!
We all miss you here and are thinking about you. Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures when you get back. Ditto to what Maryam and Elisa said about your trip. Enjoy your time there, you'll be back before you know. I know like 3 words in Spanish so we can speak together when you get back!!!! hahahaha

Talk to you soon,
Hilary

PS...I LOVE that you taught them the chicken dance!!! :)