Thursday, July 17, 2008

It has definitely been awhile since I blogged. But things are looking up.

So, I guess I will try and update you all on what has been happening since my last blog since it has been over a week. Last Thursday, me and a bunch of people went to this beach called Choroni. It is suppose to be one of the best beaches in Venezuela. It was good and fun and all that stuff but it took a long time to get there. It took us 12 hours on a bus that was freezing cold to get to a town called Maracay. And from there we had to take another bus to the beach. This was an interesting bus ride. It was basically 2 hours up through the mountains on a road that was not at all wide enough for 2 buses to fit through. And to say the least they drove like crazy. I can not believe there aren't more accidents down here. I am so thankful for the traffic and drivers we have when I get home and the ones in South Africa. But we eventually got to the beach and it was a beautiful. I am still trying to get my pictures uploaded on the internet. Oh yeah we got the cheapest hostel in the town and you could tell but it was an interesting time. We basically sat on the beach all day friday and went out on the town friday night but let me tell you it is not a very big town. There are only like 2 bars. So it was an interesting time. So we went to the beach all day Saturday as well. It was fun the waves were huge and so some of us body surfed. It was awesome. The water was great and it was a beautiful day for the beach. I really didn't want to leave. One because it was a great time and two because of the bus ride back. We left Saturday night and got in to Maracay. And then I wanted to check out McDonalds for supper. Yeah I know. I am in a foriegn country and I want to try a McDonalds. But for all my South African friends, you all know I wanted to check out and see if they had something similar to a dollar menu there and they did. Here not so much. I paid 12 American dollars for a meal at McDonalds. Yeah you heard right. I had a Big Mac value meal and a McFlurry for $12. It was crazy. Lets say I am not going back to McDonalds here except to use the restroom. Since they are basically the only place in town that has a clean restroom and tp in the restroom. Great picture for you all, huh?? Ok, well after that we hopped on our bus ride back to Merida. Another 12 hours in a freezing bus but hey we had to get home.

So I arrived home Sunday morning early and went home to change and stuff since I had been a bus for so long. After that, me and a few friends here went shopping. Well basically went walking all day cuz I don't think we really bought anything. It was a nice workout but dang was it a long day. We found a Chinese restaurant to try. Which was cool and all but they were missing the white rice. I basically get white rice with every meal I have and for some reason the Chinese restaurant meal didn't come with it. I thought it was weird and so did Jill and Zach. But after we ate we walked around the whole city but basically on Sunday the city is pretty much closed down. Another weird thing. But is something that I am getting use to. They basically can close there shop at any time they want during the week or weekend. It is kind of funny but frustrating at times. Oh well, I don't question why, I just roll with it. There are a lot of things I am getting use to here. Oh yeah, not to mention this last weekend there were a ton of protest here in Merida about the safety in the town. It was all college students that were protesting and three got shot. One died and they also tear gased the whole central of town. Luckily I was away during it but it has still been going on. But I try and stay away from that. Well being in class for 6 hours a day keeps me away from it, too. Sorry about the little tangent. After the walk around the city, I decided to see how far away my house is from the place I take classes. Well, It is a little over an hour. And basically there is one other kid that lives down there and my mom speaks no english and so I get kind of lonely. So, I wanted to talk to the director of the program to see what could happen, if anything. That was basically my weekend.

Well on Monday, I went to class for 6 hours and then went and talked to the director she was going to think about it and talk to others and see what she could do. I was like cool. Well that night we had to go to a mandatory meeting about how we were adjusting to the culture here. It was kind of cool but boring. On Tuesday after class the director of the program gave me a couple of options. I could move in with her and her family or somewhere else were another student was living but he would be leaving this weekend. So, I took the afternoon to think about what to do and would tell her my answer later on that night. Well, I went home and ate with my mom, who got a phone call from Marinela, the director of the program. And she understood what was going on and was cool with whatever I decided. I felt really bad cuz she was so sweet and so nice to me and loved having me there but I needed something different. So I came back for the dance class night and told Marinela that I would like to move in with her and her family. She said cool and that it could happen tomorrow. She speaks english and so does her husband and she lives like a couple of blocks away from the place I take my classes at. It is a great fit. So I planned on moving out the next day. And she said that was alright.

So Wednesday, I had breakfast with my host mom told her I was sorry for moving out and that I would come back for lunch but after that I would be taking my things to the new house. After class, I went home ate with my mom and had a pretty good conversation with her. She told me to call her when I get back to the US and let her know I am safe and stuff. I just don't know how to call down here but I will try. So, I grabbed my things and kissed and hugged her and said goodbye. I brought my stuff to the school and waited for my new mom to get done with work so I could go home with her to my new house. We went there and it is a beautiful place and she is so nice and her husband is great. Also, they have a really cute 4 year old daughter that doesn't speak any english but like to tell me secrets which I really don't totally understand. But it is great. I got to watch Snow White and the 7 dwarfs with my host sister, Sarah. And have food that I was able to put hot sauce on because they love spicy food. It was basically the second time I have had something spicy here since I got here. It was great. But I had to go to my room and studied for my test that I had today. So, I had to lock myself in my room and do that. But it was a great choice. I am glad that I did it.

As for today, I had my first exam. My teacher said I did good so that is great but I have know idea how I actually did. It wasn't to bad. I made it through that is all I can ask for. Oh yeah, I was suppose to do a paper and presentation at the end of the semester on Venezuelan culture. But I got it changed. I get to do them on culture and my trip to South Africa which I am excited for since I have already wrote 2 papers on that. So that is cool. As for know, some of us are going to go try some street hamburgers with no lettuce or tomatos because we might get a parasite from the water that they wash them with. And let me tell you getting a parasite is not the greatest feeling the world. I have already had one. So, I guess that is all I got for now. I miss you all and hope that all is well back in the States or wherever you are. Thank you all for reading this and keeping in touch.

1 comment:

Grumpy Cake King said...

Nate,

Glad to hear things are going better, good luck with the housing change. I'm up at Itasca right now with NOL so keep posting becaue I have a week and a half more up here away from everyone as well!

See ya soon,
TJ